If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A fusion soup and mish-mash of flavor notes of seafood, Mediterranean, and Asian that surprisingly work well together. Very hearty, packed with vegetable, protein and little fat.
Though the ingredients seemed a lot, this recipe is very adaptable. If you don't like any vegetable, just omit or substitute it with your favorite. The fish can be substituted with any mild flavored fish that you like. Shrimp can be omitted, changed to fish with same amount, or mussels.
This recipe is also good to use up the leftover hummus you have in the fridge. The hummus give a nice body and thickness to the soup without being too rich.
If you want it to be richer, add splash of double cream before serving. We eat it with rice or bread, or just as is. —foofaraw
- 1 teaspoon preferred oil/butter (I used self-rendered lard but any oil works, even oil from frying bacon)
- 1 large onion, any type, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 clove of garlic, minced
- 16 ounces carrots, sliced thinly
- 16 ounces baby bella or button mushroom, sliced thinly
- 6 cups water
- 1 to 2 cups hummus, whatever flavor left in your fridge. Dissolve with 1/2 cup of boiling water
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 8 to 12 ounces canned salmon or other mild flavored fish, lightly shredded
- 1 to 2 cups shrimp, deveined
- 3 to 4 tablespoons dried wakame seaweed
- 2 tablespoons miso paste
- double cream (optional)
- heat oil in large pan on medium heat, add onion. Leave it with no moving until caramelize. Add bell pepper and garlic, stir, leave for 5 minutes until bell pepper wilt. Add carrots and mushroom, stir, leave for 5-10 minutes until the mushroom start gives of water.
- Add 5 cup of water, the dissolved hummus, herbs, black pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Let it cook for 15-20 minutes until the carrots start to soften.
- Add shredded cooked fish, shrimp, and seaweed. Let it cook for another 15 minutes. About 5 minutes before it is done, add miso paste.
- Taste and add salt if needed. Serve while it is hot. If preferred, add splash of cream before serving.