If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My inspiration for this recipe, World Cup Cucumber & Lamb Sosatie served with Cucumber Cilantro Relish on a bed of Cucumbers and Dried Apricots, comes from two sources. One, Chef Marco Pierre White who teaches one to keep things simple when cooking. Two, from the fact that tomorrow is the beginning of the World Cup in South Africa! South African cuisine contains many BBQ'd meats including Sosatie which is a national dish of cooked lamb. I decided to add cucumbers to this dish as they perfectly balance the heaviness of the lamb--keeping this dish both light and simple. The lamb can be marinated or cooked in a Tikka Masala-like sauce (either made from scratch or a bottle of it bought at Whole Foods!)...this is also a nod to the Indian community in S. Africa and its influence on that country's cuisine. —michelle lynn
Serves four or more
Lamb & Sosatie Sauce
- 1 packet Lamb Stew Cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1/2 & 1/2
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala or ground curry
- 1 dash salt, to taste
- 1 dash black pepper, or to taste
Cucumber Cilantro Relish, Bed of Cucumbers, Yogurt, Dried Apricot Garnish
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 1 handful Cilantro Leaves, finely chopped
- 1 dash lemon juice
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced cucumber rounds
- 1/2 cup Yogurt
- 1 handful thinly sliced Dried Apricot pieces
- Melt butter in saucepan.
- Add minced garlic and chopped onion, cook for 3 minutes.
- Add spices, cook for 1 minute.
- Add heavy cream or 1/2 & 1/2 , then tomato sauce. A bit of honey can be added if desired.
- Add a dash of salt and black pepper (or to taste).
- Simmer for 3 minutes.
- In a separate pan, brown the lamb cubes in butter until browned and cooked to preference. Remove from heat when done.
- Next, toss the chopped cucumber and chopped cilantro together in a bowl. Add a dash of lemon juice. Let sit.
- Thinly slice 1/2 a cucumber into rounds. Arrange thinly sliced cucumbers on plate. Top with lamb chunks. Drizzle Sosatie sauce on top of lamb.
- Arrange Cucumber Cilantro Relish on top of lamb chunks, alongside, add yogurt and more Sosatie sauce. Garnish with Dried Apricot slices.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cucumber Recipe