Summer is here! On long hot summer days, there is nothing I love more than cold gazpacho for dinner. Here is a salad that I made tonight that satisfies my gazpacho craving without all the heavy lifting. The refreshing sweet crunch of the cucumber shines in contrast to the creamy avocado and spice of the dressing. NOTES: I made the dressing without measurements so feel free to use less or more as needed, to taste. When I made this tonight I drizzled the dressing on everything. In the recipe I suggest only drizzling into the avocado, allowing the action of cutting to release the dressing into the frisee. Choose whichever method suits you. —gingerroot
- Serves 4
- for the salad
small head frisee, leaves washed well and torn
ripe but still firm avocados
ripe grape tomatoes, washed
- for the dressing
1 1/2 teaspoons
sriracha chili garlic sauce
good extra virgin olive oil
sea salt, to taste
- Arrange torn frisee in four serving bowls
- Halve each avocado. Carefully peel and discard skin from each half. Slice away any bruised spots, keeping each half as intact as possible. Distribute halves among bowls.
- Cut cucumber in half, lengthwise. Cut each half in half again. Chop cucumber quarters and arrange evenly in avocado halves.
- Halve grape tomatoes. Evenly distribute among four avocado halves.
- In a small bowl, juice the lime. Add sriracha. Add olive oil.
- Coarsely chop cilantro and add to dressing. Using a fork, stir vigorously to emulsify, adding sea salt to taste.
- Using a spoon, drizzle dressing into each avocado half.
- Instruct guests to use fork and knife to cut up avocado, allowing dressing to mix with frisee. Enjoy!