If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is my favorite infusion, its spicy, sweet, strong and warming. I strongly recommend splurging on good honey and getting Spirytus. Your taste buds will thank you.
Feel free to add different spices, kinds of honey or play with the amounts, this recipe is just a base for endless experimentation. —Eli Cizewski-Robinson
Makes 1 liter
- 1 cup Clover Honey
- 1 cup Water
- 1 Star Anise
- 4 Cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 5 Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 Split Vanilla Bean
- 1/2 Orange Zested
- 6 peppercorns
- 2 cups Spirytus, Everclear (or Vodka if you want something less strong. The spiritus brand I use is 151 proof.)
- In a large pot bring the water and honey to a boil. Remove the foam from the top with a shallow spoon. Boil for 5 minutes. (depending on how hard you boil, you will end up with a weaker or stronger drink)
- Add the star anise, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, orange zest and peppercorns. Reduce heat, cover and boil for 10 minutes.
- Raise the heat so it returns from a boil then remove from the let it and let sit covered for about 30 minutes.
- Strain out all the spices and bring the liquid back to almost boiling. (I just use a fine mesh strainer, but if you have time and don't like any solids in your drink use cheese cloth or coffee filters.)
- Carefully add the liquor, then remove from the heat and allow to cool. Bottle.
- Let sit for at least a week. (Sometimes I will put the cinnamon sticks or vanilla bean in the bottle, adds to the look and the flavor.)
More Great Recipes: