If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I got the idea for these from the mozzerella and mashed potato stuffed empanadillas from my favorite Puerto Rican restaurant, La Isla. My version is baked instead of fried, and the gooey mozzerella cheese oozes around soft, sofrito seasoned potatoes. The delicious flaky dough I use is a recipe from an issue of Gourmet magazine, but store bought empanada discs, or your own pastry dough will also work. For the dough recipe I use, visit http://www.epicurious.com... —Loves Food Loves to Eat
Empanada dough (http://www.epicurious.com...)
2 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed small
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic
1/2 cup cilantro
tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper
cups grated mozzerella
egg and a tablespoon water-whisked
- For sofrito: In food processor, pulse onion, red pepper, cilantro, garlic, salt and black pepper until like a paste.
- Heat oil over medium low in a large non-stick skillet or pot (I use a big wok). Add potatoes and sofrito, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Lightly mash with fork or back of spoon. Remove from heat and cool to room temp.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Divide dough into 16 pieces, and form each one into a disk. To fill, roll out 1 piece on a floured surface w/ rolling pin into a 3-4-inch round.
- Spoon a tablesppon of potato filling and a pinch of cheese (eyeball it) into center and fold dough in half. Press edges together to seal, then crimp with a fork. Transfer all filled empanadillas to oiled baking sheet.
- Brush empanadas with egg wash and bake 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. Cool on a rack for 5 minutes, serve warm.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dumplings
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brown Bag Lunch
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Mozzarella