Author Notes: With an abundance of fresh squash and zucchini during the summer and having it as a side at every meal, I decided to make it the meal. After making some fresh pesto and tossing it in with the cooked vegetables for a side for dinner the night before and loving the taste, I decided to try it out as a quesadilla with leftover vegetables the following night and it was the perfect summer dinner. It is a new summer favorite in our house. —ShannaC
cup sliced fresh Summer squash
cup sliced fresh Zucchini
cup sliced white or portabella mushrooms
cup cup prepared Pesto
cups thinly sliced fresh Mozzarella
cup sour cream
tablespoons olive oil
- Sauté veggies with olive oil until cooked, but still firm. (Salt and pepper to taste) Remove from heat Toss with two tablespoons of prepared pesto. (Can use homemade or store bought) Drain off any liquid and set cooked vegetables aside
- Thinly spread pesto over inside of flour tortilla and place flat in your favorite quesadilla pan over medium heat. Spread a 1/4th of the Mozzarella over ½ of the tortilla then add ¼ of your vegetables. Heat quesadilla until cheese melts and tortilla starts to brown, fold tortilla in half and remove from pan. Cut cooked tortilla into triangles.
- Pesto Dip: Mix together sour cream and remaining pesto, serve pesto dip on the side.
- Note: If you like your quesadilla more or less full, adjust the filling to suit your needs.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Mozzarella