If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Another Tuscan Classic. Easy and Quick to cook —Chuck48
Serves: 2 - 6 (size of chicken)
Whole Free-Range Chicken - 3 to 6 lbs
cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 or 2
*Brick, Stone, Cast Iron Skillet or Baking Stone, covered with foil.
- Light your grill or preheat your stove top grill to Medium High.
- Place chicken breast side down on a cutting board. Using poultry shears, cut up one side of the backbone from the butt to the neck, repeat on the other side of the backbone, removing it from the bird.
- Place the chicken breast side up, with rib cage spread and the thighs and drumsticks facing up, and press firmly on the breast, near the neck, flattening the bird. You may hear a "crack" as the collar bone (wish bone) breaks.
- Lightly coat the bird on both sides with Olive Oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place your chicken on the grill, breast side up and cover with the Brick*. Press down on the brick to get the bird as flat as possible.
- After about 15 minutes (based on 3 lb chicken), using pot holders, remove the weight and turn the chicken over (breast side down). Replace the weight.
- Grill another 10 - 15 minutes until the thigh meat is no longer pink and juices run clear.
- Remove to a platter and cover with foil. Let it rest for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, slice the lemon into wedges.
- Cut the chicken into serving portions and serve with a lemon wedge. Insist that your guests squeeze the lemon onto their portion.