If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: If I had to describe this recipe in three words, it would be summer comfort food. The essence of summer comfort food is a dish that’s warm and inviting yet still manages to taste fresh and crisp - Seasonally suited and beautifully presented, it makes you immediately want to curl up to it. This toast is all of those things, making it the ideal meal for rainy breakfasts in bed, cozy lunches amongst friends, and lazy dinners on cool, midsummer nights. —Christine @ WRY TOAST
Serves 4 people
- 15 oz Chickpeas, canned & drained
- 1/2 cup Pesto Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 slices Rye Toast (or any bread of your choosing)
- 4 Eggs, large
- 4 ounces Smoked Salmon
- pinches Black Pepper
- Capers & Chopped Basil for garnish
- cooking spray to grease
- In large skillet combine chickpeas, pesto sauce, and EVOO over low heat. Once evenly mixed, cover ingredients and allow to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring once or twice along the way.
- With 10 minutes to go on your chickpeas, toast your bread to desired crispness. Set aside.
- When your chickpeas are nearly cooked (about 4-5 minutes left) generously grease flat griddle with cooking spray, then warm over medium-high heat. Once hot, cook eggs until the whites are just set (2-3 minutes), then remove from griddle.
- Build your toast with a heavy spoonful of pesto chickpeas, smoked salmon, an egg, and a pinch of black pepper. Garnish with capers and basil as desired, then serve!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Favorite Way to Eat Eggs for Dinner