Author Notes: If you are anything like me, when there’s a cake in the house, you just can’t leave it alone. Especially when it’s a gluten free apple cake. One of my all time favorites!
I cut myself a slice (or two..) and I put it away. Not long after 5 minutes go by, I am already back at it, checking if that last slice was actually cut straight or if it needs a little adjustment ;)
I cut one more slice. And then another one for the husband (to whom I later beg for a piece) so I have the illusion that I can share my sense of guilt.
Since I know myself, baking a big cake when it’s just the two of us, is not a wise choice. And because I know I won’t give it a break until the cake it’s finished, I learned to bake in smaller cake pans.
Smart huh?! ;) —Ambra Torelli
For the Cake
grams Rice Flour
grams Cassava Flour
grams Rice Starch
grams Orange Juice, freshly squeezed
tablespoon Vanilla Extract
grams Coconut Oil
grams Dessert Wine
teaspoons Baking Powder (replaceable with 1 tsp Cream of Tartar and 1 tsp Sodium Bicarbonate)
For the Toppings:
piece Apple, thinly sliced
tablespoon Pine Nuts
tablespoon Almond Butter (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a medium bowl, whip the yolks with the honey until creamy and fluffy.
- Add in the flours and the melted coconut oil and mix well with a spoon.
- Add the other liquid ingredients, mix well and lastly add in the baking powder.
- Pour the batter in a small but tall baking pan (the one I use has a 5 inch diameter) lined with parchment paper.
- Slice the apple with a mandolin and use the slices to decorate your cake.
- Sprinkle some pine nuts on top and bake for 30 minutes.
- Enjoy lukewarm and if you like it, drizzle some almond butter on top to give it a extra rich flavor!