If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These egg rolls are the perfect fusion of Chinese food and Mexican food, two of the most delicious cuisines around. They are crispy and crunchy on the outside and creamy and delicious on the inside.When the avocado egg rolls are dipped into the cilantro lime crema I made to go with it, it is the perfect combination. The creaminess of the avocado paired with the tartness of the lime and cilantro and the crunchiness of the egg roll really take it to the next level. —bettycrockersdaughter
For the Egg Rolls
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced small
- 7.5 ounces black beans (1/2 can)
- 3/4 cup loosely packed cilantro, stems removed and minced
- 3 avocados, diced into medium sized chunks
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 8 egg roll wrappers
- Mix together the onions, tomatoes, beans, cilantro, avocados, lime juice, and salt. Try to keep it chunky. You don't want the avocado to break down too much and get too smooth.
- Add the water and egg together and beat until smooth to create an egg wash. Using your fingers or a brush, place the egg wash along all four sides of the egg roll wrapper. Put approximately 2 tablespoons of filling diagonally across the middle of the wrapper. Fold the long side over the filling so that it is covered half way. Tuck in both short sides so that everything is covered before rolling it all the way into an egg roll shape. Make sure to go over all of the seams with egg wash so that everything is sealed tightly stays together when frying.
- Heat enough oil in a large dutch oven so that when the egg rolls are placed in, they are covered about ⅔ of the way. With the heat on medium-low to medium, fry the egg rolls for 7-9 minutes until a deep golden brown. Make sure to turn and spoon oil over the top of the egg rolls so all sides are evenly cooked.
- You will likely have to fry in batches so as not to over-crowd the fryer. Heat the oven to 200 degrees and as egg rolls come out of the fryer, put them in the oven so they'll stay warm while the rest are cooking.
For the Cilantro Lime Crema
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup non fat greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup cilantro
- 2 limes, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- To make the lime crema, put all of the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve immediately with avocado egg rolls with the sauce as an appetizer or with rice and beans to make a full meal.