Author Notes: The cherries in these waffles burst in your mouth with every bite. I've never been a huge syrup fan, so the juiciness inside these waffles provides the perfect pairing with the crispy outside, and the light, fluffy inside. This recipe calls for "almond meal" which is just ground up almonds. It is now easy to find bags of almond meal in many major grocery stores. You might also want to fold in toasted almond slivers for more texture. —kechin
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup whole fat yogurt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 1.5 cups halved fresh cherries, pitted
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- pinch salt
- Mix flour, almond meal, sugar, salt, and baking powder together in one bowl.
- In another bowl, mix egg, oil, yogurt, milk, and extract together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Fold in the cherries.
- Follow the instructions to your waffle maker to complete. For my waffle maker, I use a soup ladle (approximately 1 cup), and this yields me 4 large Belgian style waffles.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Cherries