Author Notes: Every fall we processed so many different peppers, we are talking bags(20 kg) and bags (Crveni rog) Red horn peppers for roasting to make ajvar or marinated with garlic, (Babura) Hungarian Sweet Peppers to be staffed or pickled, (Paradajz paprika) Tomato Pepper and (Feferoni) Hot peppers for pickling.
The whole neighbourhood smelled on roasted peppers because it was not pepper season just in our house.
We always had a jar in the fridge with pickled peppers or roasted red horn peppers marinated with garlic, salt and oil.
My mom served as a side with roasted meats, or side for Police (baked potato cut into half) or simply with bread. I just diced and added some basil.
Makes: about 2 cups
sweet red roasted peppers
fresh basil leaves
cloves (or more) garlic, minced or grated
cup grape seed oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- You can roast pepper yourself but store bought in a jar are perfect for this recipe.
- Drain the peppers; dice and place in a bowl.
- Wash and mince basil leaves.
- Peel, mince or grate garlic.
- Add salt, black pepper and oil.
- Mix all together and let sit for a couple of hours.