Author Notes: It's a family recipe that has been handed down. - Hiker —Hiker
Food52 Review: It’s a cake. It’s a vegetable. What could be better? Hiker’s recipe calls for 3 squares of chocolate – I went with a dark unsweetened Ghirardelli, I assumed (correctly I think) that something of that sort was called for. I also used a bundt pan because that’s what I have. This is a great cake – not too sweet, with a dense moist sort of sponge texture. Chocolaty, but not overly so. Icing would be too much – we dusted with powdered sugar as recommended. - Aargersi —The Editors
Serves: 1 cake
pieces Chocolate squares
cups grated zucchini
cups sifted flour
1 & 1/2
teaspoons baking powder
tablespoon baking soda
- Melt chocolate and let cool
- Grease and flour tube cake pan
- Sift all dry ingredients together in a large bowl
- Beat eggs til fluffy, add sugar 1/4 cup at a time
- Add oil and chocolate at low speed, mix well
- Next add dry ingredients.
- Add grated zucchini, mix well
- Bake 350 degrees for 1 hour 15 min until center springs back, can also check with a toothpick
- Cool 15 min. then remove from pan
- This is moist enough that you can serve it without frosting. Dust with powdered sugar.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Summer Squash Recipe