Many years ago my Dad owned a produce market in the Bronx in NYC. We as kids never knew what it was to eat a canned vegetable. When Dad retired and we moved to New Jersey "THE GARDEN STATE" he decided to grow his own garden, and Zucchini was always a part of the Summer Crop. This Recipe was created by my Mom who passed away 2 years ago. She used to make it regularly during the summer months when Zucchini was plentiful. It is very flavorful and easy to make, can be served for a summer luncheon with a salad or as side dish with dinner. It can also be frozen for future use. —Jillie
- Serves 6
Small Zucchini diced, save one half of one zucchini to slice in circles for the top of the pie
small onion diced
cloves of garlic, minced
Fresh Basil leaves, chopped
Grated Locatelli Cheese
Italian Sweet Sausage removed from the casing
Fresh Black Pepper
- Brown sausage, remove from pan and toss with flour
- Dice up 2 1/2 zucchinis, onion and garlic and brown in pan
- Mix ricotta, basil, pepper, egg and locatelli cheese in a separate bowl.
- In a 9 inch square glass pan layer ground sausage, and zucchini mixture
- Top with ricotta mixture smoothing over top of entire pan
- Top with round slices of zucchini
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 25 minutes
- Take out of the oven and top with shredded mozzarella broil until cheese melts and turns golden brown about 1 to 2 minutes
- Let cool for about 10 minutes before cutting.
- Serve with a Side Salad and Enjoy!