If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A piquant mix of sweet and sour flavors... —nykavi
- 1 large Eggplant
- Canola Oil Spray
- 2 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Kalonji or Onion Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 Dried Red Chiles
- 10-15 fresh Curry Leaves
- 2 tablespoons Sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon Dried Coconut flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric
- 3 tablespoons Tomato Ketchup
- 3 tablespoons Tamarind pulp, soaked in water and strained
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Garlic paste
- 3 Ginger slices
- Fresh Cilantro
- Cut eggplant into 1/2 inch slices. Spray with canola and lay them spray side down down in a hot nonstick skillet. Let them crisp and brown on one side. Then spray other side and flip and brown slices. Cool and cut into small chunks.
- Heat remaining oil in the same pan. When hot add kalonji, cumin, red chiles and curry leaves. Let them splutter for 30 seconds.
- Add all other ingredients except eggplant. Bring sauce to a simmer and add eggplant. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes till eggplant is fully cooked.
- Add fresh cilantro and serve with roti or rice.