Author Notes: Like pasta, zucchini is a great carrier of other flavors and sauces. I recently got a julienne gizmo that is like a peeler but makes tiny little threads of zucchini, carrots, cukes or wherever you apply it. A mandoline or benringer with a julienne blade also works(but not as safe for fingers or as much fun to use). I make this recipe all summer long with a variety of dressings, but this is one of my favorites. It is healthy and light; a great side dish or a light lunch. - dymnyno —dymnyno
Food52 Review: Zucchini and summer squash, if sliced thinly enough, resemble spaghetti -- or, zuccaghetti! -- and make for a tender, refreshing salad. The notion of zucchini spaghetti has popped up here and there over the past couple of years. Sometimes the strands are dressed with oil and chilies, sometimes with a vinaigrette and herbs. Here dymnyno enrobes the thin, dewy zucchini in a tarragon vinaigrette rounded out with cream (add it to taste). This is a salad that gets even better with a little sitting. Dymnyno has you rinse the zucchini after salting -- we found that you can skip the rinsing. But don't skip the eating! - A&M
8 small zucchini (about 2 lbs)
1 tsp salt
3 tbs tarragon leaves
2 tbs fresh lemon juice
3 tbs olive oil
1 cup cream(1/2 &1/2)
3 tbs chives, minced
fresh ground black pepper
- Julienne the zucchini, place in a colander, sprinkle with the salt and drain for 1/2 hour. Then, rinse , and squeeze and towel out the excess moisture. A salad spinner can work.
- In a blender, put the olive oil, lemon juice, tarragon leaves and cream.
- Blend until creamy and all the ingredients are fully incorporated into a creamy dressing.
- Toss the zucchini with the sauce (amount determined by taste).
- Sprinkle with the chopped chives. Grind pepper over mixture to taste.
- Your Best Summer Squash Recipe Contest Finalist!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side