Author Notes: I am a big fan of beets from top to bottom, in any shape, form or colour; from raw to cooked, roasted or pickled. —anka
Serves: 4-5 sides
medium red beets with greens
tablespoons coconut oil
teaspoon garlic, grated (1 large clove)
teaspoon grated ginger
teaspoons finely chopped preserved lemon peel (from about 1/3 preserved lemon)
tablespoons lemon juice
Freshly ground black pepper
In This Recipe
- Beetroots; washed and wrapped in aluminum foil and roasted for 60-70 minutes at 350 F.
- Wearing glows peel and dice beets.
- In the bowl of a high-speed blender add roasted beets, lemon juice, ½ tsp salt, 5-6tbsp water and blend until you have a very smooth puree. You will need only 2 tbsp, rest you can freeze in ice cube tray for next time.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the orzo and cook following the package instruction.
- When orzo is cooked drain and rinse with hot water; toss with the 2 tbsp red beet pure.
- Cut beet greens into 1/3 -inch-wide strips (other greens will work too).
- Meanwhile, heat a saucepan with 2 tbsp coconut oil; when hot add garlic, ginger and preserved lemon. Sate for a minute, add beet greens and ¼ cup water, ½ tsp salt and black pepper; cook 3-4 minutes until the greens are wilted.
- Mix with orzo and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for When You Want It to Feel Like Fall