If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sweet, sour, salty and crunchy is the best way to describe this Shaved Purple Asparagus Salad with Kumquat Dressing. The bright colors and flavors will brighten any table. If kumquats are not available, substitute with 1-2 tablespoons of orange zest. —CherylDLee
kumquats, halved and seeded
cup extra virgin olive oil
pound purple asparagus, tough ends removed
cup salt cured black olives, quartered
cup white balsamic vinegar
teaspoon fleur de sel, divided
teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Place the kumquats and olive oil into a small bowl.
- Refrigerate the mixture 6 hours to overnight.
- When ready to make the dressing remove the oil from the refrigerator and let it come up to room temperature.
- Cut the tips of the asparagus off and set aside.
- Using a vegetable peeler shave the asparagus spears into thin strips.
- Place the asparagus shavings into a bowl of cold water to keep them crisp.
- Remove the kumquat halves from the oil and set aside.
- Add the vinegar, ¼ teaspoon of fleur de sel and red pepper flakes to the oil.
- Whisk the ingredients together until thickened.
- Add the olives and reserved kumquats to the dressing.
- Remove the asparagus from the water and pat dry.
- Place the asparagus on a serving platter.
- Drizzle the dressing over the asparagus.
- Sprinkle with the remaining fleur de sel.
- Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shaved Salad