If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Why just chop up summer fruit when you can shave it into gorgeous ribbons? —Scheherezade Daftary
Food52 Review: When you're looking for an elegant, fruity summer dessert but can't bear the thought of turning on the oven, try this shaved fruit salad. Nectarines and melon (we tested this recipe with honeydew) might not strike you as natural bedfellows, but the silky, juicy ribbons are lovely together in this dish, accented with just a touch of ground pistachio and cardamom (you'll want to use ground cardamom rather than the seeds procured from pods). If you can't find any small melons at your local grocery store, half of a large melon will suffice. Also note that this salad is best made immediately before serving. —lauren
small melon (honeydew, ananas, cantaloupe, etc.)
small ripe nectarines
tablespoons lemon juice
tablespoon honey (optional if your fruit is very sweet)
cup pistachio meats
- If the rind of your melon is very thin and soft, go ahead and peel it with a veggie peeler and then quarter and seed it. Otherwise, quarter and seed the melon and then cut the rind off with a paring knife.
- Halve, twist, and remove pit from nectarines.
- Slice the melon and nectarines on the thinnest setting of a mandolin or slicer (you can do it by hand if you have to, but that would suck). Toss in a bowl and set aside.
- Mix the lemon juice and honey in a small bowl and then drizzle over the fruit.
- Pulse the pistachio meats, cardamom, and sugar into a food processor or blender until coarsely chopped.
- Plate the fruit in a nice mound onto individual plates and then sprinkle the pistachio mixture over top. Enjoy!
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shaved Salad