If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Iceland - the land of elves, volcanos, and fermented shark - is seemingly obsessed with something a bit out-of-place: carrot cake. This is a nod to all those vegetable-studded slices found in bakeries around the country. —Katherine Hysmith
Makes 1 standard bundt cake
for the cake
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup walnut oil (or other neutral oil)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups grated or finely chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup pistachios, toasted and finely chopped
for the spiced skyr
- 1 1/2 cups plain or vanilla skyr or yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of allspice
- pinch of clove
- Set the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a bundt cake pan or other pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together the sugars, oil, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, powder, soda, spices, and salt. Remove a handful of this mixture and add to the carrots and pistachios, tossing to coat. Add the dry mixture to the wet, stirring until just combined. Add the flour-coated carrots and pistachios and gently fold to combine. Pour into the cake pan, smooth the top, and tap on the counter to remove any air bubbles. Place in the middle of the oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the top of the cake springs back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for about 15 minutes and then gently turn out onto a wire rack.
- While the cake cools, make the spiced yogurt. In a small bowl, combine the yogurt and the spices. Store covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Once the cake has cooled, top with powdered sugar and serve in large wedges with a generous dollop of spiced yogurt and a couple extra pistachios.