If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It was a dreary, rainy Sunday morning here in NYC so I decided to surprise my hungry husband with breakfast in bed. There's nothing better than staying in bed on a gloomy morning. :-)
We had been to the farmer's market the day before and bought a deliciously tart fresh goat cheese so I came up with this breakfast treat: A lightly toasted sourdough bread slice, generously slathered with fresh goat cheese, with quickly sauteed tomatoes, all topped with a fried egg and lemon basil leaves.
... my take on a breakfast egg and cheese sandwich! Enjoy! —337greenwich
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tomato, or a handful of cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon lemon basil chiffonades
- 1 teaspoon Butter
- 2 slices of sourdough bread
- 2 generous smears of fresh goat cheese
- dashes Salt & Pepper
- splashes Olive Oil
- In a non-stick pan over medium/high heat, quickly saute the tomato slices with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Simultaneously, fry two eggs in a little bit of butter to prevent sticking. Cook the eggs until the whites are fully cooked, but the yolks are still runny (I love the how the yolks will run over the entire bread when you bite into it, but you can cook the yolk through if this isn't something you want). You can also replace the fried eggs, with poached eggs.
- Toast the sourdough slices on the lowest setting. Spread fresh goat cheese (or ricotta if that's what you have) on your lightly toasted bread - be generous with the cheese!
- Spread fresh goat cheese (or ricotta if that's what you have) on your lightly toasted bread - be generous with the cheese!
- Top the bread with the sauteed tomatoes, place the fried egg on top, then sprinkle the lemon basil chiffonades over the egg.
- Plate, and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brunch Eggs