If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have had this recipe in my box for 30+ years given to me by my mom who, sharp as a tack, can't remember the original source. What I can tell you is that it is simple to make, doesn't heat up the kitchen since it is not canned, is colorful on the plate and makes me happy when I see it in its big jar in the fridge where it lives for weeks every summer. When I take it to a picnic I always bring the recipe too since it never fails in producing requests to share. —NancyFrom Kona
- 7 cups Thinly sliced unpeeled cucumbers
- 1 Diced red pepper
- 1 cup Diced onion
- 2 tablespoons Kosher salt
- 2 cups White sugar
- 1 cup White vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Celery salt
- Combine veggies with the kosher salt in a large bowl. Let stand for 1 hour and then drain. Do not rinse the salt off.
- While the veggies stand, mix the liquid ingredients in a medium sauce pan, cook until solution clears and take off heat.
- Put the drained veggies in a container. Pour the liquid over the pickles, cap tightly and refrigerate. The solution will not initially cover all the veggies but do not fear because with continued refrigeration the veggies will shrink.