If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These coconut-crusted chicken lettuce wraps combine the savory crunch of crusted chicken with refreshing butterhead lettuce and a sweet, tropical salsa. —Allyson
Food52 Review: I liked this recipe for several reasons. The mango salsa is delightful and so simple and pairs nicely with the coconut-crusted chicken. The chicken is also delicious, with a toasty, crunchy, sweet outside and I found myself just popping pieces on their own. All together, I love how this recipe doesn't have a lot of ingredients—and there's no sugar or wheat/gluten.
I did have some difficulty with the cooking process, though. I also found that medium high heat on my stove was way too hot. It browned the coconut in no time but left the chicken pretty much raw. I ended up turning it down to below medium. Next time, I think I will parbake the chicken, then coat it and fry it to avoid having to test for doneness. Also 1 pound of chicken breast seemed like a lot for just 2 servings but if you want leftovers (which you probably do), then it's okay. —Dawne Marie
For the salsa
- 1 mango
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, packed
- 1/2 jalapeño, deseeded
For the chicken and to serve
- 1 pound chicken, breast or thighs
- 3 egg
- 1 1/4 cups shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- dashes Salt
- dashes Freshly ground black pepper
- Coconut oil
- Butterhead lettuce leaves
- Shredded red cabbage
- Remove chicken from refrigerator to remove chill.
- Dice mango, bell pepper, and red onion. Mince cilantro and jalapeño. Add to a bowl with juice of one lime and mix to combine. Cover and refrigerate. Cut chicken into small pieces, keeping the size consistent. (You can do strips or "nuggets," like I used in this recipe.)
- Crack egg into a small dish and whisk. Add coconut flour to another flat, shallow dish, and add shredded coconut to a third dish. Season coconut flour with paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Start by dipping chicken into coconut flour, followed by a dip in the beaten egg, and finally, into the shredded coconut. Place onto a dish until you have "breaded" all of the chicken.
- Heat a cast iron or stainless steel pan to medium-high heat and enough coconut oil to coat the pan.
- Add chicken to pan and cook for about 3 minutes per side, depending on how thick your pieces of chicken are. You may need to work in batches to not overcrowd the pan. Add more oil as needed.
- After removing the chicken, sprinkle with salt while it is still warm if desired.
- To assemble, distribute lettuce leaves, add chicken, top with salsa and shredded cabbage. Serve with lime wedge.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Chicken