If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Vegetables and chips are merely a vehicle for my favorite dish at summer picnics and barbecues: Dip! —Burf
Makes 2 cups
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups diced onions (about 2 large onions)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 12 ounces soft tofu (Mori-Nu comes in a 12 ounce block)
- 1/4 cup raw cashews (mine weighed in at 32 grams)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons minced chives, divided
- Heat the olive oil over low heat. Add the onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and sauté the onions until caramelized (mine took 35 minutes).
- While the onions are cooking, remove the tofu from the package and drain off any liquid. You won't be able to remove all of the moisture, and that's totally OK. Just do your best to blot out some of the water.
- With a blender or food processor (a stick blender is ideal), puree the tofu, cashews, lemon juice, onion powder, and the other 1/2 teaspoon of salt until creamy and smooth.
- Stir in the caramelized onions and 1 tablespoon of chives. Give a taste and add more salt, if desired.
- Transfer the dip to a serving bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour, or up to 48 hours (I haven't tried anything longer). When ready to serve, top with the remaining 1 tablespoon of chives.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with Tofu
More Great Recipes: