Makes: 1.5 lbs cured salmon
pounds Skin-on salmon fillet
cup Kosher salt
cup Fennel fronds, chopped
cup Floral gin or Pernod
- Mix salt, sugar, fennel fronds, and gin in a bowl. the mixture should feel like wet sand.
- Lay out enough parchment paper and aluminum foil to wrap the salmon in. Place the parchment on top of the aluminum foil.
- On the parchment paper, place enough of the salt mixture to create a thin bed for the salmon to sit on.
- Place the salmon, skin side down, onto the mixture.
- Tightly pack the remaining salt mixture around and on top of the salmon.
- Wrap the salmon tightly in the parchment paper and then the aluminum foil.
- Place the package on a baking sheet with deep sides (or similar dish). Place another baking sheet on top and weigh it down with about 5lbs.
- Place the weighed down baking sheets in the fridge, for three days.
- After the three days, remove the salmon from the fridge, rinse off any mixture, and pat dry.
- Slice and serve as you like. I typically serve with small toasts, creme fresh, and capers.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Salmon