If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My favorite thing is to come up with a dish around random ingredients I have in the fridge/pantry. This was one of those! I found myself with broccoli, Brussels sprouts and half of a whole wheat baguette. I think the beauty of this recipe is its adaptability - change up the veggies with whatever you happen to have on hand on that day and the recipe is always fresh and new. I also want to give a shout out to Sandra at A Dash of Sanity for the inspiration (http://www.adashofsanity.com/2014/07/simple-breakfast-casserole-egg-whites-bacon-smoked-gouda-spinach/)! —AmiJoy
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/5 baguette, cubed
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 pound Brussels sprouts, quartered
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup Sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces ricotta
- 1 stem green onion, chopped
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat your oven to 400F. Chop the broccoli and quarter the brussels sprouts. Toss the chopped veggies in the olive oil and season with salt. Bake until just starting to crisp on the edges, about 10 min.
- Meanwhile, slightly beat the eggs. Whisk with cream, milk and mustard. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the ricotta with the chopped green onions. Set aside.
- When the veggies are done in the oven, reduce heat to 350F. Lightly grease a 1qt casserole dish.
- Toss the baked broccoli and Brussels sprouts with the cubed bread and chopped sun-dried tomatoes. Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish.
- Spoon the ricotta and green onion mixture throughout the casserole dish, in between the bread and veggies.
- Pour the egg/milk mixture over the bread and veggies in the casserole dish. Allow the dish to rest for about 5 min so the bread can soak up some liquid. Then layer the sliced provolone on top.
- Bake at 350F until the egg is set all the way through. Cooking times will vary based on the size/shape of the baking dish so start checking for done-ness after about 45min, may take up to 75min. Tent loosely with foil if the top is browning too quickly.
- When done, allow it to rest on the counter for about 5-10min before serving. Enjoy!