If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There is a great little cafe near me that does these wonderful open faced sandwiches. Normally, I can't eat any of them because they always have onions, eggs, cheese and/or regular bread, but that doesn't prevent me from eyeing up their breakfast selection. Finally I got so desperate I asked them if I could do a custom order, and they obliged! So this was the result. —nycnomad
Cucumber Fennel Radish Salad
- 1 Persian Cucumber
- 2-3 Radishes
- 1 Head of Fennel
- 1/4 cup Watercress
- 1/2 Lemon (Juice)
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Capers
Smoked Salmon Cucumber and Fennel Tartine
- 4 pieces Smoked Salmon
- 1 Slice of bread/1/2 bread roll/1/2 bagel (gluten/grain free)
- 2-3 tablespoons Cucumber Fennel Radish Salad
- Using a mandolin or very sharp knife slice the cucumber, radishes and fennel into very thin slices (shaved). Place them in a bowl.
- Trim the tops of the watercress and add it to the salad, making sure that you have cut it up a bit to make it easier to eat, otherwise you may get half the sandwich with a single bite.
- Add freshly ground salt and pepper, the capers, dress with olive oil and squeeze the juice from 1/2 lemon over the salad.
- Toss lightly and set aside while you assemble the tartine.
- Slice the bagels, rolls or prepare your bread as desired. I use a gluten free roll made with tapioca (manioca) flour. Place a couple of tablespoons of salad onto the base. Lay a couple of slices of smoked salmon on top of each tartine. Snip a few sprigs of fennel fronds for decoration if you like and then plate!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Salmon