If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Inspired by my lunch time adventures while in Haarlem, Netherlands, this colorful open faced sandwich is brimming with vegetable goodness. Grab a fork and knife, this one will leave you coming back for seconds! —Oat&Sesame
- 2 large or 4 small beets, roasted, peeled and diced
- 4 slices whole grain bread, toasted
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 2 tbs toasted sunflower seeds, optional
- 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 bunch alfalfa sprouts
- 1 bunch mixed greens (I used argula)
- minced herbs of choice - thyme, dill, tarragon, basil
- 1 Tbs toasted sesame seeds, optional garnish
- Prepare Ingredients: Roast & prepare beets @400F for 60 min. Dice tomatoes, sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss with balsamic vinegar. Set aside to marinate while you get everything ready. Smash avocado with a fork and mix in toasted sunflower seeds and a couple pinches of salt and pepper.
- Build the sandwich: Spread a quarter of the avocado mixture onto each slice of toasted bread. Top with diced beets and tomatoes (reserving the extra juice). Add a good helping of sprouts and sesame seeds. Serve with a side of mixed greens. Garnish with herbs, salt and pepper and drizzle the remaining juice from the tomatoes over the top of each sandwich.
- MAKE AHEAD & TIPS - Beets: make extra and plan ahead for a week's worth of these sandwiches. Believe me you'll want more. Tomatoes: you could add a little olive oil here, but I'm keeping it extra healthy!
- Visit Oat&Sesame to read my travel blog! http://oatandsesame.com/2016/06/beet-avocado-open-faced-sandwiches/