Author Notes: The basic fried onion mixture can be enhanced with fresh seasonal herbs and a twist of lime. You may also add a bit of uncooked oatmeal to the burger. —sparkelina
pound organic ground beef
onion (vidalia or purple onions if available)
sherry or red wine
freshly ground pepper
In This Recipe
- Chop the onion, garlic and pepper.
- Saute the onion in olive oil. When the onions begin to become translucent add the garlic and jalapeños. When these ingredients start to caramelize finish with sherry. Put aside and let cool
- Fold the onion mixture into the ground beef.
- Add Worcestershire sauce.
- Divide into four parts and form patties.
- Brush patties with olive oil. Dust each side with all-season salt, celery salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Grill or saute. Serve on a bun with romaine, arugula and fresh tomato.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Beef Burgers