If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One of my daughter's favorite summertime dishes, this prep is so easy, and certainly perfect for camping. Wrap the packets in a double layer of foil if you're sticking them into hot coals. —Windischgirl
- 1 Purple eggplant, about 1 1/2 lbs
- Your favorite pesto--we like my mom's basil pesto!
- Vegetable oil to grease
- Heat the grill to medium. Tear off 4 pieces of foil, about 18 inches long, and grease each with a small amount of oil.
- Slice the eggplant crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slabs, and place one of the four widest slices on each of the pieces of foil. Spread each slab with a generous spoonful of pesto (1-2 tsp). Continue to layer eggplant slices with pesto, ending with eggplant.
- Wrap the packets loosely and place on the grill or tuck into the hot ashes of a campfire. Cook until soft, about 15-20 minutes. Serve hot, one packet per diner. Tasty with simply grilled chicken or Mediterranean flavors. If desired, sprinkle each serving with a Tbs. of Parmesan cheese or mozzarella for a vegetarian main.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Cooked Over a Fire