Author Notes: We had lots of plum tomatoes last summer and my friend, Sarah, and I were busily canning them. My husband had planned to grill our dinner and Sarah suggested halving a bunch of the tomatoes and smoking them over some mesquite. They turned out fabulous! We made another batch over this past weekend with San Marzano tomatoes and some other plum tomatoes from our local farm market. They are delicious in chili or a Parmesan cream sauce over pasta. - mwolson —mwolson
Food52 Review: As often as I throw tomatoes on the grill to char them for salsas and sauces, it never occurred to me to smoke them. After tasting mwolson's Mesquite Smoked Tomatoes, I'm certain to put some on the smoker every time we use it. I used a regular perforated grill basket as our pizza pan wasn't handy, and it worked like a charm. Just be sure to use care as you're pulling them off the smoker grate -- you won't want to lose any of their delicious, smoky, savory juices. - lastnightsdinner —The Editors
Serves: 4 quarts
pounds plum tomatoes
- Half a market case of plum tomatoes, about 10 pounds, cut in half lengthwise and the stem end and any white core removed.
- Build a fire in the bottom of a kettle/bullet type smoker with the cooking rack at the top level. Arrange the cut tomatoes skin side down on a large perforated pizza pan. With the charcoal glowing, add several handfuls of mesquite chips that have been soaked in water. Put the pizza pan on the top rack and cover the smoker with it's lid. Let cook them for about 20 minutes, adding more mesquite to keep it smoking, just until the skin becomes easy to peel. Remove from the smoker with tongs, placing the cooked tomatoes into a bowl. Working with another bowl in your kitchen sink, peel the tomatoes, being sure to collect all the juices.
- In each of your prepared quart canning jars, put a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of lemon juice. Fill your canning jars, then process the jars in a hot water bath following directions for canning regular tomatoes.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Heirloom Tomatoes