If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A simple recipe that allows the natural sunkissed flavor of heirlooms to shine through for a fresh light dish. —Christy Greene
Heirloom tomato's (your choice)
bunch fresh italian basil
ounces Buffalo mozzarella packed in whey
ounces Aged Balsamic Vinegar (from Modena Italy)
pinch ground sea salt and pepper
cups simmering water and large slotted spoon
- Pour Balsamic vinegar in a ceramic coffee cup place in the microwave and cover with napkin. Cook on high 1 min. then continue cooking for 30 second intervals until thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- While that is heating use your slotted spoon to dip heirloom tomato's one at a time into the simmering water for 5 seconds. Remove and Cool tomato's immediately under cold running water. Skin will be loose and will easily peel off by hand.
- Peel and slice tomato's into 1/2 inch slices.
- Drain buffalo mozzarella and slice into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices.
- Fan sliced tomato's and alternate each slice with a slice of mozzarella.
- Rinse, pluck from stem, and stack 6 - 8 basil leaves. Roll tightly into a cigarette shape and thinly slice the cross grain to chiffonade the basil.
- Sprinkle top of heirloom tomato and mozzarella fans with Basil, (ground) Sea Salt & Pepper and a fine drizzle of balsamic syrup.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Heirloom Tomatoes