If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These ridiculously easy red currant muffins are perfectly tart, and bursting with beautiful red berries. —Heather - Heather Homemade
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups red currants
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds (optional)
- coarse sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees; line muffin tins.
- In medium to large mixing bowl, whisk flours, sugar, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
- In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk melted butter, milk, eggs and extract together. Pour over dry ingredients and mix just to combine. Fold in currants, reserving about 1/2 cup of currants for the top.
- Fill muffin cups just barely to the top; decorate with reserved currants and almonds or sugar (if using). Be careful not to over-fill. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- These are best the first day, but can be stored in an air-tight container with the lid slightly ajar for up to three days. These also freeze well.