If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The citrus and spices in the mojo marinade make this chicken flavorful and tender. Grilling gives the skin a crispy exterior that pairs perfectly with the juicy chicken. —cooksandkid
Food52 Review: WHO: Cooksandkid is a third-time contest entrant and a first-time contest finalist!
WHAT: A grilled chicken surprisingly bright for its dead-simple ingredient list.
HOW: Marinate chicken and sliced onions in sauce made from what you probably already have: citrus juices, white vinegar, a handful of spices, garlic, a Serrano pepper, and olive oil. Forget it in the fridge for a few hours, then grill the chicken, basting it with a bit of reserved marinade.
WHY WE LOVE IT: Did we mention the dead-simple ingredient list? The unfussy white vinegar? The zinginess contributed by three different citrus fruits? Talk about a recipe that does a lot with a little, especially for a weeknight meal. —The Editors
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 small Serrano, minced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 6 chicken leg quarters
- Whisk together the citrus juices, vinegar, salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, Serrano and garlic. Then whisk in olive oil.
- Place the onions and chicken quarters in a gallon freezer bag. Reserve a 1/2 cup of the marinade for basting the chicken. Pour the remainder of the marinade in the freezer bag with the chicken and onions. Place in the refrigerator and marinate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- 30 minutes before grilling, remove the chicken from the refrigerator. This will help take the chill off and allow the chicken to cook more evenly.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from the freezer bag and discard the used marinade and onions.
- Once the grill is hot, place the chicken on the grill and baste with the reserved 1/2 cup of marinade. Grill the chicken for 10 to 12 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature reaches 165° F.
- Your Best Recipe Cooked Over a Fire Contest Winner!