I found it on epicurious.com years ago and have made it numerous times. I often add asparagus and always mix sweet and hot Italian sausage. It is a very flavorful and attractive brunch dish that can be served hot or at room temperature. It has always received rave reviews. —Harvest Vine
- Serves 8
sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
hot Italian sausage, casings removed
garlic cloves, chopped
chopped, drained oil-packed, sun-dried tomatoes
chopped fresh Italian parsley
large egg yolks
half and half
grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Butter a 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Saute sausage in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat until brown and cooked through, breaking up with back of fork into small pieces, about 10 minutes.
- Add shallots and garlic and saute about 3 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes and 3 tablespoons parsley; stir 1 minute.
- Spread sausage mixture in prepared dish. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Whisk eggs, egg yolks, half and half, whipping cream, 1 1/2 cups cheese, and salt in large bowl to blend well.
- Pour egg mixture over sausage mixture in dish.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese and 2 tablespoons parsley over.
- Bake until top of casserole is golden brown and knife inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let stand before serving.