Author Notes: This recipe is inspired by Karaite.
Kibinai (singular: kibinas) are traditional Karaite pastries filled with mince meat and onion, popular with Karaite ethnic minority in Lithuania. But, as You'll see it's great and with a lil'bit different filling. There are a lot off different recipes of dough, Who gave me this, I don't even remember, but probably my mother, as most recipes.
The filling was created today, then I was looking at my loved plum and apple trees.
And it was BINGO! —@ciobrelioklajones
grams Spelt flour (or all purpose)
Spelt whole grain flour
milliliters sour cream/ creme fraiche
Aplle and plum filling
tablespoons brown sugar
- 1. Grate butter to the bowl, add all flour and crumb everything till You'll mix well butter and flour together.
- 2. To the flour and butter mass add sour cream, 2 eggs and salt. Knead all until the dough comes together. After put the dough in to a plastic bag and place it to the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- 3. Clean apples from seeds and plums from stones. Cut them all in to small peaces (approx. 1/2 plum to 6 peaces). In the bowl mix peaces with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- 4. Take a peace of dough, approx to make small ball that fits in woman's palm and roll each to circles till 2mm thin. NOTE: the dough is butter based, so prepare only such amount of "Kibinai", that You can bake at one moment.
- 5. Place one, big tablespoon of filling in to the center of circle, feld dough. Press carefully edges with fork.
- 6. Preheat oven to 180C. Put "Kibinai" with the edges to the top. Spread over with the whipped egg. Bake for 30 minutes or the top of "Kibinai" are nice brown. Pour the top with sugar powder. It is great a lil'bit warm and also cold.