If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Author note: This recipe calls for herb salt. If you do not have this handy, kosher salt will also work well. —A Pleasant Little Kitchen
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 basil leaves, tied with kitchen string (and more for topping)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups red onion, halved and sliced
- 3 cups okra, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 teaspoons herb salt
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- In a skillet, combine the oil, basil leaves, garlic, onions and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook on medium low for 35-40 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Once the onions are caramelized, increase the heat to medium and add the okra and the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt. Cook for 7 minutes
- Add the vinegar and scrape the bottom of the pan. Cook for one additional minute. Remove bundle of basil and garlic.
- Remove from the heat, serve topped with torn basil leaves.