If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I adapted this from a wonderful recipe in last December's Bon Appetit. I was able to subsitute reduced fat milk for cream and whole milk without compromising the rich flavor of the dish. Whole-grain bread adds more fiber. The chicken sausage is less fatty than traditional sweet Italian sauage. I added thyme just because I love it and grow a few varieties in my garden.
This was my first entry in a food52 contest, over two years ago... —Lizthechef
- 16 1/4 inch whole-grain baguette, sliced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 12 ounces baby organic spinach, washed
- 1 pound chicken Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 jar of yellow, red or orange roasted peppers, drained and medium-diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 cups grated Fontina cheese
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- kosher salt, to taste
- ground white pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Butter baking dish and place 8 baguette slices into bottom of dish; place 2 slices along each side.
- Melt butter in large skillet and cook spinach just until barely wilted. Strain spinach; when cooled, squeeze excess liquid. Transfer to medium bowl.
- Using the same skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain on paper towels, then add to spinach. Add one cup of grated cheese, the diced peppers and thyme. Spread on top of baguette slices.
- Whisk eggs in medium bowl. Add 4 remianing indregients. Pour over spinach mixture. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake torta 45-50 minutes, until puffed and golden. Remove from oven and allow to rest 30 minutes before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast II
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brunch Eggs
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Festive, Crowd-Feeding Breakfast