Author Notes: A humble dedication to India’s much loved beverage….a creamy, tea-licious masala chai semifreddo! —Dhanya Samuel
milliliters full cream milk
milliliters condensed milk
A pinch of salt
milliliters heavy cream
Crushed pistachios; to garnish
Fresh figs (optional); to garnish
- Add the chai blend to water and bring to boil (adding the chai blend to cold water and slowly bringing the water to boil helps to deepen the flavours). Reduce heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Strain and return the liquid to heat; simmer for another 4-5 minutes to slightly thicken the infusion. Remove and allow to cool.
- Place the milk, condensed milk and salt in a pan and bring to boil; stirring continuously. Reduce heat and add the tea infusion. I added one tbsp at a time, tasting after each till I was happy with the flavour. Since the strength of your tea infusion might vary, taste and add enough to get that warm chai flavour but not too strong to overpower the dessert. I added approximately 7-8 tsp of the infusion.
- Continue to cook for another 10-12 minutes till it reaches the consistency of a thin custard. Allow to cool and then chill in the fridge.
- Whip the cream into soft peaks and then fold into the chilled milk mixture.
- Line the tin with baking paper and pour the mixture into the tin. Freeze for at least 4 hours or till set.
- Garnish with crushed pistachios and serve with fresh figs on the side.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best No-Bake Desserts