If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Summer is eggplant season, and this recipe lets them shine. Try one of the heirloom varieties like Rosa Bianca or Listada De Gandia. —Semolina Artisanal Pasta
- 2 small eggplants
- 2 cups Roma or San Marzano tomatoes, peeled and diced (or 1 small can diced tomatoes)
- 1 small heirloom tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped (or 1 tbsp dried)
- 1-2 Fresno chilies, seeded and sliced
- 1 pound Fusilli
- Ricotta Salata for garnish
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Heat a grill or grill pan.
- Slice eggplant into 1-inch thick rounds and drizzle with olive oil on both sides. Sprinkle with salt. Grill eggplant for about 1-2 mins each side. Remove from heat and cut into cubes. Set aside.
- In a sauté pan on medium-high heat, add olive oil, canned tomatoes, garlic, oregano, chiles, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, continuously stirring to prevent sticking, about 10 minutes. Add eggplant and cook for another 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add chopped parsley and chopped heirloom tomato.
- While sauce is simmering, cook pasta in rapidly boiling, heavily salted water. Drain, reserving some cooking liquid, and add pasta into sauce with a tablespoon of pasta water. Cook over low until pasta is coated, adding more pasta water if necessary to thin sauce. Remove from heat and serve. Garnish with fresh parsley and crumbled ricotta salata.