If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The madras blend of fruits and vegetable remain fresh and vibrant with their all colors in this salad. I really like all the contrasts- sweet and sour, crunchy and soft, bright and dark. When I first made this salad I had many additional ingredients, most of which were grated. In the revised version, I am suggesting threadlike julienne instead. You can then toss and "weave" the ingredients together, loosely like thread woven into a cloth, with a very simple light dressing to accentuate the madras plaid effect. —Sagegreen
- 2 beets, one red and one golden preferably (about 1 cup)
- 1 sweet plum or pluot, julienned (@ 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup fresh mango, julienne sliced
- 2 small carrots, preferably of different colors, julienned (@ 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 inch fresh ginger, peeled and thinly julienned
- 8 lemon verbena leaves, rolled and snipped
- pinch of cumin, optional
- pinch of kosher or pink Himalayan coarse salt
- juice of 1 lemon, preferably Meyer, or sweet lime
- juice from half a sweet orange
- drizzle of EVOO, first cold press preferred
- Assembly all of the salad ingredients, julienne sliced (about an inch and a half long) in a bowl, allowing their colors to bleed into one another. Add the herb, optional spice, and salt. Gently toss to intermingle the ingredients.
- Squeeze the citrus juice over the salad.
- Drizzle with EVOO. Gently toss again. Serve slightly chilled.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brown Bag Lunch
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Plums