Author Notes: Ferrero Rocher, you can retire now. In this oil-free granola recipe, cocoa-infused banana puree binds the nourishing blend of crispy buckwheat groats, chia seeds and toasted hazelnut, sweetened with unrefined coconut sugar. The result is less oily and more crispy clumpiness. Serve with your choice of milk or snack out of the jar... it's pretty addictive.
The dehydrator is a handy thing to have, so you don't have to keep an eye on the oven; but if you don't have one, the oven works just fine kept at low temp overnight, if you're cool with that (smoking oven nightmares? nah.... electric ovens will be fine). —Jamie Pea
Makes: 1 liter jar-full
grams rolled oats
grams buckwheat groats
grams hazelnuts, raw
grams chia seeds
large banana, still yellow and not too ripe
grams unrefined coconut palm sugar, coarsely grated
teaspoon fine sea salt
teaspoon pure vanilla extract
grams cocoa powder
- Preheat your oven to 180*C/350*C. Spread the oats in a thin layer on a baking sheet and toast for about 5-8 minutes; it should smell nicely toasted but not approaching bitterness. Do the same for the buckwheat groats, for 3-5 minutes.
- Spread the hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 3 minutes; keep an eye on them, taking care not to burn them. If using the oven rather than a dehydrator, lower the temperature to 65*C/150*F.
- Slice the banana into rough coins and use either a food processor or stick blender to combine with the water, palm sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Add the cocoa powder and process again until you get a completely smooth liquid.
- Combine the oats, buckwheat groats, hazelnuts and chia seeds in a mixing bowl and pour in the banana-cocoa mixture, using a silicone spatula to scrape up as much of the delicious mix into the crackle. Stir to combine.
- Spread the mixture onto a non-stick silicone mat or baking parchment placed on a baking sheet. No need to press down the mixture; let it clump up naturally in parts. Stick it in your oven or dehydrator (set to 68*C/155*F) for at least 4-5 hours while you sleep/do laundry/get your Instgram game on/procrastinate.
- After it's out of the oven/dehydrator, let it cool completely whilst picking on/fisting the crispy, crunchy and chocolatey clusters, then transfer to an air-tight container. Enjoy with your choice of milk/yogurt/ice cream/alone.