If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Roasting tomatoes intensifies their flavor for this simple tomato gravy to serve with biscuits, rice, polenta or even mashed potatoes. Pure tomato heaven! —inpatskitchen
Makes about 2 cups of gravy
- 2 pounds Roma tomatoes (about 8)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, skins intact
- Sea salt for sprinkling on the tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper for re-seasoning
- Pre heat your oven to 350F. Slice the tomatoes in half, lengthwise, and scrape out the seeds. Place the garlic and tomatoes, cut side up, on a parchment lined baking sheet, drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt. Roast for 1 hour and then let cool.
- Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan. Whisk in the flour and continue to whisk over medium heat until you get a light brown roux.
- Dice the tomatoes and add them to the roux along with the salt and pepper. Squeeze the garlic out of the skins and stir them in also. Add the water, stir and simmer the mixture for about 5 minutes. Stir in the cream and adjust for salt and pepper.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Tomato Showstopper