If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A savory tomato soup with fresh tomatoes, health-giving vegetables, aromatic basil and brown rice to add substance and hearty flavor. —BARBARA RUZZENE
- 2 cloves of garlic-chopped
- 1 leek-sliced
- 10-15 medium mushrooms-sliced
- 1 medium red pepper - chopped
- 2 organic containers of grape tomatoes
- 4-5 beefsteak tomatoes
- 1/2 cup organic brown rice
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian oregano
- 2 tablespoons Chicken boullion
- 2-3 tablespoons organic olive oil
- 1 tablespoon organic honey
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Chop two large cloves of garlic, together with one thinly sliced leek to a 2 quart saucepan. Saute on low in the olive oil for about two minutes. Add Salt and Pepper.
- When the garlic and leeks are slightly softened, add one chopped red pepper, and the sliced mushrooms. Cover the pot and continue to saute on low for another 3-4 minutes.
- In a food processor, Blend the two containers of the grape tomatoes, and the 4-5 beefsteak tomatoes. Pour them into the the pot with the sauteed vegetables. Add the fresh basil leaves, oregano, bay leaves, honey, chicken bouillon and Salt and Pepper. Return to a simmer, and add 1/2 cup brown rice.
- Continue simmering half covered for about an hour. Stir occasionally, and adjust seasoning.
- Ladle into soup bowls. Pass freshly sliced crusty Italian bread.