If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Inspired by the addictive late-night snack “Quack ‘n Cheese” at the Snack Dragon in the East Village, this super flavorful dish is a great way to try quinoa for the first time, or discover a new way to love it. The southwestern flavors of charred corn, black beans, cilantro and chipotle peppers add a kick to this basic gluten-free grain. The best part: this dish is just as good hot as it is cold, so it can be prepared in advance and would make a great addition to a picnic or bbq. Note: Quinoa is a very tiny grain so when rinsing, be sure to strain it in a fine mesh strainer, or line a regular strainer with paper towels so you don’t lose the grains. —Fun Fearless Foodie
Serves 2 as entree, 4 as side dish
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 2 ears of corn
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzle
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon liquid from canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- salt and pepper
- cilantro sprig, for garnish
- Heat your grill or grill pan on high heat for at least 10 minutes.
- Shuck the ears of corn and wrap in aluminum foil. Place on the grill and cook, turning every few minutes, until the corn is cooked through and the kernals begin to brown. Remove from foil and grill an additional 2 minutes to char the corn. Let corn cool, then cut off kernels and reserve.
- Pour the chicken stock into a medium size saucepan and stir in quinoa. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cover. Cook for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, stir and cover to keep warm.
- Add the charred corn, black beans, lime juice, cilantro, oil, and cumin into a bowl and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Let sit out at room temperature while the quinoa cooks.
- Mix the sour cream, 1 tablespoon lime juice, and chipotle liquid in a small bowl until incorporated. Taste and adjust seasoning based on level of heat desired.
- Fluff the quinoa with a fork and spoon into a serving bowl. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of warm quinoa. Spoon on the corn and black bean mixture and a scoop of the chipotle sour cream. Garnish with cilantro sprig. Serve additional chipotle sour cream on the side.