If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This salad is not Russian, but was invented and entered the regular rotation when we lived on Russia Ave. in the Excelsior, SF. It's just a really dependable salad that hits the spot, also pretty flexible with most of its ingredients. It's also great because it lasts for a few days without getting soggy. I listed the ingredients I personally prefer the most first, but all the alternatives make a banging salad too. —jwhang
Serves 4 as a side, 2 mains
- 1 red bell pepper (or orange or yellow, never green), chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cob of corn (its kernels--or one can of corn, drained and rinsed)
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1-2 cloves of garlic microplaned or finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons chopped basil (or cilantro or parsley)
- 1/2-1 avocado, cubed
- 1/2 lemon's (or one lime's) juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 splashes olive oil
- 1 cup shelled edamame (optional)
- Combine all ingredients except the olive oil. Nothing except for the avocado is time-sensitive, so feel free to prep one ingredient, add it to the bowl, then prep the next.
- After seasoning it to your taste, add the olive oil and mix one last time. Enjoy!