If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe was inspired by crossing a modified couscous and raita recipe from a cooking class I took from local chef J.P. Samuelson, and a recipe I have been making for a while for wonderfully fragrant and tender lamb meatballs. I have made this dairy, egg, and wheat free for my daughter, using rice milk, crushed rice cakes, and a little flax seed oil instead of the egg. I have tired it with both pine nuts and almonds, regular and golden raisins, bread crumbs or other crumbs.
All work well! I have added a little hairssa to give it some spice, but you can add more if you want it to be hotter
Chunky yogurt sauce
- 1 1/2 cups full-fat plain yogurt (I prefer Sheep's milk yogurt)
- 2 scallions, white and green parts,chopped
- 1/2 tomato, diced
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar or honey
- Prepare all the ingredients in a small boil and combine gently. Let sit in the refrigerator while preparing the rest of the meal.
Meatballs and couscous
- 1 cup couscous (I prefer whole wheat)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 preserved lemon, separted into the rind and the insdies
- 1/2 cup onion or scallions, in chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup golde raisins
- 1 cup slivered almonds or pinenuts
- 1 teaspoon sea sa;t
- 3 tablespoons fresh herbs (I used parsley, basil and rosemary). You can also use a mix of parsley and cilantro.
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup milk or plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon Harissa
- 1 egg
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a food processor chop and mix the almonds, onion, raisins, salt, garlic, herbs, and harissa.
- Mix in bread crumbs, milk or yogurt and egg.
- Turn into large mixing bowl and combine with ground lamb. Form into meatballs, about 20.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet and cook the meatballs, turning them until golden brown and crusty, about 15-20 minutes. Remove to baking sheet and keep warm in oven while you prepare the couscous.
- Prepare the couscous Place the water in a small saucepan. Add the chopped insides of the preserved lemon.
- Heat until boiling, Stir in the couscous, cover and remove from heat.
- After 10 minutes fluff with a fork and mix in the chopped preserved lemon rind. Taste and add salt if desired.
- Serve meatballs with couscous and the yogurt sauce on the side. Enjoy the tastes of Northern Africa!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Meatballs