If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is for all my garlic lovers out there. A riff off of a 101 Cookbooks classic 'Tuscan Kale Salad' http://www.101cookbooks..., this is my go-to salad that I both eat at home and bring to potlucks. The best part is that the user can tailor this recipe to their specific taste palate by adding more or less garlic, pepper flakes, and cheese. I swear, it is so tasty I forget that I am eating a salad. Enjoy! —Marghet
Cook time: 20 min
bunch curly green kale
large garlic cloves
cup olive oil
pinch kosher salt
teaspoon red pepper flakes
cup grated reggiano-parmigiano
- Wash the kale and pull the leaves off the stems in one to two-inch pieces, and put them into a large bowl. Discard the stems.
- Mince or crush your garlic cloves into small pieces. Put the garlic in a small bowl and add the olive oil. Whisk the garlic and oil to blend well.
- Put the garlic and oil mixture over the kale. Put the pinch of salt on the kale as well. Massage the oil, garlic, and salt into the kale for at least a minute. This is a gentle kneading motion (like with bread but with kale) which will break down the bitterness of the kale and get that garlicky goodness into the leaves. The leaves will turn a darker shade of green after a minute.
- After the leaves darken, add the juice of the lemon, the pepper flakes, and the grated reggiano-parmigiano. Toss to coat all the leaves with the lemon, pepper flakes, and cheese.
- Put in the fridge to chill for at least five minutes.
- Take out and serve! Add more pepper flakes if you desire a spicier salad.