If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sweet and savory, you can substitute the buckwheat flour for your favorite whole-grain flour like spelt, cornmeal, or rye. This version is filled with sage, onion, green apple, and a cheese crumble made with Tillamook Sharp Cheddar. —Food52
Serves 6 to 8
- 1 cup plus three tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into chunks and chilled
- 1/3 to 1/2 cups ice water
- 5 sage leaves, julienned and divided
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 green apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 5 slices sharp cheddar
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, and salt. Using a pastry cutter, knife and fork, or a food processor, cut or pulse the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs the size of peas.
- Add the ice water and stir, using a wooden spoon or the food processor, until the dough forms into a ball-like mass, using your hands if need be. Flatten the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic, and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large sauté pan, melt a tablespoon of butter with 2 of the sage leaves. Add the red onion and wilt down, add apples and sauté on medium heat for 3 minutes until apples soften and release their juices. Add 2 tablespoons brown sugar and toss to coat. Cook an additional 2 minutes so the sugar melts and lightly caramelizes. Remove the pan from heat and toss with 1 tablespoon flour to thicken the juices. Reserve and cool filling.
- Place the cheese in the freezer till firm. Pulse in food processor till lightly crumbled. Add 3 sage leaves, 1/4 cup flour and pulse together until small crumbs form. Pulse in 1 tablespoon brown sugar.
- Roll out galette dough into a 12-inch circle. Artfully arrange apples and onion. Fold edges over galette so there's a 2" border. Sprinkle with cheese crumble. Bake for 40 mins or until the dough is cooked through and apples and cheese are golden brown.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!