Author Notes: This is a light meatball recipe. I used ground veal and added some white anchovies to give it a little tang (you barely notice the anchovies). I use my favorite anchovies, Dinon, which are sometimes called boquerones.The ones I usually buy are encased in hard plastic with a see through top, so you can see the white anchovies. I used my favorite gadget ...the julienne tool. You can also use a simple vegetable peeler and make wide strips. If you use cucumbers other than ones you have grown yourself, make sure that they don't have a wax coating. The long English cucumbers are usually covered in plastic wrap . Simple herbs...just some fresh thyme and a scatter of minced chives. I made cucumber "pasta" and a simple dressing. To be served cold or room temperature. *****This is a meatball recipe , so, it can be used in preparations other than my "pasta" with good results. —dymnyno
Serves: 6 as a first course
1 pound ground veal
2 ounces Dinon white anchovies, finely minced
1 cup minced onions
1/4 cup cream
1 whole egg
1/2 cup panko
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, minced
1 large cucumber, julienned
3 tablespoons cream, 1 tbs. lemon juice, 3 tbs, olive oil, 1 tbs minced thyme.
pinch of salt and pinch of garlic powder
- Mix the veal, onions, cream, anchovies, egg, panko and thyme together.
- Form into round meatballs.
- Saute the meatballs in a little olive oil (enough so they don't stick). Set aside on paper towels. Or, you can bake them in the oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
- Julienne the cucumber...stop at the seeds. Or, use a vegetable peeler and make wide strips of "pasta".
- Make the dressing. First, pour the cream into a bowl. Then add the lemon juice and whisk until it starts to thicken. Add the olive oil and the thyme and the pinch of salt and garlic powder and whisk.
- Add the dressing to the cucumber strands and toss.
- Plate the cucumber "pasta" and then put the meatballs on top. Sprinkle with chopped chives and a pinch of sea salt.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Canned Fish Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Meatballs